A great self defense shotgun is the Mossberg 500. Here is a very good article on why the Mossberg is a versatile and very popular choice for hunting or as a self defense shotgun.
Of course Mossberg is not the only manufacturer of self defense shotguns. A few of the other shotgun manufacturers are Remington, Savage Arms, Browning, American Tactical Imports, Benelli, Beretta, Braztech-Rossi, Century Arms, Cimarron, Crickett, CZ, EAA, Escort, FN Herstal, H&R, Interstate Arms, Ithaca, Kel-Tec, Ruger, Tri-Star Sporting Arms, and Winchester just to name a few.
Looking at Mossberg Self Defense Shotguns – Most Notably The Mossberg 500
The Mossberg 500 can easily be described as one of the most multi-purposed shotguns you can buy. The Mossberg 500 is a great shotgun for self defense, works well in law enforcement and is also widely used as a hunting shotgun. The Mossberg 500 is an excellent choice for almost any application.
The Mossberg 500 shotgun is best characterized as multiple models of shotguns that make use of the same fundamental action and receiver. Every Mossberg 500 can be made unique just from the various options of available barrels, bore size, custom or tactical stock sets and multiple chokes for the hunting barrels.
These are a few of the many reasons that make the Mossberg 500 one of the best home defense shotguns.
The Mossberg 500 Is A Popular Choice For Home Protection Because It’s Simple To Operation
The Mossberg 500 is a very durable shotgun designed to be used in any environment. It is not indestructible by any means, but it can used in some of the worst conditions and still function properly. It is designed that way – easily put to task, easily cleaned and easily maintained. It is in that category of “cheap shotguns” when it comes to price but high quality when it comes to home protection shotguns.
One great thing about the Mossberg 500 shotguns is the barrels all interchange. You can easily and quickly swap out your shorter tactical defense barrel for the longer hunting barrel with no tools involved. You can have a great pheasant hunting shotgun by day and then easily converted to a home-defense-bad-guy-killing-machine by night.
Most of the Mossberg 500 shotgun models are designed the same. With the use of the dual action bar, the action is not as apt to bind. The breech is secured with a single locking lug. All the Mossberg 500 shotguns have the magazine mounted below the barrel. The magazine holds the extra shotgun shells which are chambered one at a time when the shotgun is “pumped”.
There are a lot of options available for the Mossberg 500. For example, you might want to add a mounted flashlight so you can hit what you are shooting at in the dark. There are many different sights you can add, from bead sights to ghost ring to sights you can see in the dark. Some other options would be a sling or maybe a bayonet lug for the serious self defense shotgun.
The Mossberg 500 model shotgun is a pump action shotgun that is able to use either a 2 ¾” or 3” shotgun shell. The Mossberg 500 standard model can carry a maximum of six 2 ¾ shotgun rounds (one round chambered and 5 in the magazine) or a maximum of five 3” shotgun shells (one round chambered and 4 in the magazine). Some of the special purpose models can hold up to nine rounds.
The Mossberg 500 is most often purchased in the 12 gauge model, but is also available in a 20 gauge and a .410 bore. The sporting and hunting crowd love the Mossberg 500 for it’s versatility with the many barrel and choke options available.
The Mossberg 500 Is Easily Disassembled For Cleaning Or Maintenance
Keep in mind that if you want your self defense shotgun to stand the test of time, it must be cleaned properly. The following video should help with that.
For the sake of safety, before handling your firearm, check and make sure it is unloaded to avoid any accidental discharge.
There Are Generally Two Categories Or Styles That The Mossberg 500 Is Used For
The Mossberg 500 shotgun is used by people of all walks of life and many different purposes. From local law enforcement to military use as well as hunting, sport shooters and home protection or self defense. With that said, as far as the general public goes, the Mossberg 500 factory model is only available in two different styles or categories.
The first is the Mossberg field model. Generally they will have a barrel length of 24” to 28”, have a few different finishes to choose from and are suited for many different uses. Some of the more popular applications would be turkey, pheasant, duck, geese or any type of bird hunting as well as deer hunting with slugs.
The barrels for bird hunting would be fitted with a ventilated rib and different choke tubes that can be interchanged. The slug barrels would have a cylinder bore that is smooth and might be equipped with a scope or rifle sights.
The other category would be the Mossberg special purpose model. This Mossberg 500 shotgun model is made more for a self defense shotgun or to be used by the military and law enforcement.
Some of the more popular models of this category would be the Mossberg 590 Special Purpose 9 Shot, Mossberg 500 Persuader 8 Shot, Mossberg 500 SPX 6 Shot, Mossberg 590 Tactical Tri-Rail 9 Shot and the Mossberg 500 Chainsaw 6 Shot. These models will have a shorter barrel length in the 18” to 20” range.
It is also very important to have your home defense shotgun loaded with the best self defense ammo for shotguns. Read up on bird shot vs. buckshot when it comes to home defense.
If you are looking for a great self defense shotgun that can also be used for hunting, the Mossberg 500 would be an excellent choice!
Click Here for a great selection of Mossberg 12 Gauge Shotguns
The Mossberg 500 in Action
Shooting the Mossberg 500.
Incoming search terms:
- self defence shotguns
- shotguns for self defense
- home defense mossberg 500
- mossberg personal defense shotguns
- mossberg 500 personal defense
- shotgun self protection field
- Mossberg 500 Home Defense price
- good optics for a mossberg 590 for self defense
- self defense 20 gauge shotguns
- Mossberg 20 Gauge Self Defense
- mossberg 500 tactical hunting
- 410 pump shotgun self defense
- Mossberg 20 Gauge Home Defense
- custom self defense shotgun chokes
- self defense shotgun mossberg 500
- mossberg 500 HS410
- sejf defence shot guns
- is a 26 barrel good for home defense
- is Mossberg tactical 500 good for home defense
- custom self defense shotgun
- mossberg shotguns for home defense
- what is a good shotgun for self defense
- Mossberg 500 tactical home defense shotgun
- how good is the mossberg 500
- mossberg 500 tactical defender shotgun
- best ammo for mossberg 500 home defense
- best self-defense shotguns
- mossberg shotguns for self defense
- mossburg self defence shotguns
- mossberg shotgun self defence
- mossberg over under self defense shotgun
- mossberg self defense model50772
- mossburg self defence
- Mossberg self defense gun
- mossburg defence shotguns
- Mossberg Personal Security Shotgun
- mossberg shotguns model 500 persuader for home defense
- Mossberg Personal Protection Shotgun
- Mossberg Model 500 Shotgun Reviews
- mossburg self defense shot guns
- self sefence shot guns
- Self-Defense Shotguns
- shotgun good for self-defense
- shotgun self defence ammo with nails
- shotguns for sef defense
- the best self defense shotguns
- top mossberg 500 models for home protection
- used mossberg home defence 500 shotgun prices
- utube review best choke for self defense shotgun